Auto Recycle FAQ

Ask the Experts in Used & New Auto Parts in Fredericton

On this page we offer answers to the questions we hear most often at Green’s Auto Parts Ltd. in Fredericton, New Brunswick. If you don’t get the answers you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to call our staff of auto parts specialists in Fredericton, locally or toll free.

Automobile Recycling Information 

The automobile recycling industry makes up 2.5 billion dollars’ worth of Canadian industry and provides local employment across Canada. Using recycled parts saves you money on vehicle insurance, as the sale on recycled parts subtract from insurance companies total claims on totaled late-model vehicles. Recycling vehicles also preserves natural resources. In Canada alone, 1.5 million vehicles are reclaimed, saving an estimated 12 million barrels of oil necessary for new part production. Seventy-five percent of a vehicle’s content (by weight) is recycled; no other complex mass produced item has achieved such a high percentage. Recycling is a positive way of helping reduce the impact of greenhouse gases.


Recycled Vehicles 

Green’s Auto Parts primarily buys vehicles, cars, and trucks that have been damaged in some way and deemed a write off by the insurance appraisers. We purchase these vehicles at auctions and tender sales. The typical recycled vehicle represents 95% of all vehicles purchased at Green’s. The other 5% are referred to as end-of-life vehicles (EOLV).


What is the Process? 

When recycled vehicles arrive, they are assigned a stock number, which is recorded on an inventory worksheet. This worksheet is used to record all of the vehicle information, such as serial number, year, make, model, date acquired, vehicle options, towing company, etc. We also use the worksheet to identify all of the parts that are to be recycled, indicating condition, quality, and price. After this information is confirmed it is downloaded to our inventory database and ready to sell.


The vehicle is then taken to our fluid evacuation area. At this point all fluids including gas, diesel, oil, transmission fluid, differential gear oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, engine coolant, and air conditioning Freon are all recovered using our state-of-the-art SEDA drain tower.

This drain tower allows us to be at the top of our game when it comes to managing waste products. The fluids recovered from within the vehicle are distributed to containment vessels for storage until such time as they are picked up by one of two environmental waste management companies, Atlantic Industrial Services and Newalta. While the vehicle is in the drain bay, we recover any mercury switches that may be on board. These switches are sent in to Summerhill Group, which manages the mercury switch out program.

At Green’s Auto we strive to be as environmentally proactive as possible, according to the Canadian Auto Recyclers' Environmental Code.

After fluid recovery is completed, the vehicle is dismantled to the point of what is needed for inside inventory. The rest is stored in an assigned location within our yard. Those parts are recovered as needed.


End-of-Life Vehicles 

Cars and trucks that are taken out of service due to age, high mileage, or inability to pass a motor vehicle inspection are considered to be EOLV. When we receive these vehicles, there is minimal parts value; the rest will be sold as scrap metal. The process for these vehicles is the same in terms of fluid recovery and dismantling.

Green's Auto Parts Ltd

2790 Woodstock Rd.

Fredericton, NB E3C 1P9


Email

parts@greensautoparts.com

Phone

506-458-9234

Toll Free

800-565-1544

Fax

506-457-0842

Hours

Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Saturday: Closed
Sunday: Closed

Send to a friend

Send the url of this page to a friend of yours

Copyright Green's Auto Parts Ltd 2017 - Legal
Created by

Legal notice